Friday, September 6, 2013

Blog Assignment #3

Peer Editing
      The Peer Editing video taught me that peer editing is about trying to improve someones writing that is your age. One rule to peer editing is to STAY POSITIVE. The point of peer editing is working to improve your peer's writing, not to make them feel bad. Peer editing actually has three steps. First, you are suppose to compliment their work. Let him or her know what you liked about the writing. The Second step to peer editing is to make some suggestions about changes. Give specific suggestions about word choice, detail, organization, topic, etc. The third step to peer editing is making corrections. This includes punctuation, grammar, and spelling. Remember to stay positive and be specific!
This assignment taught me many things about peer editing. The term "peer editing" used to sound negative to me. I assumed that peer editing meant only telling the peer about his or her mistakes. The videos and slideshow gave me more knowledge about what peer editing really is, and how to edit effectively.
      Thanks to the videos and slideshow I now know that peer editing does not only consist of corrections, but it includes compliments and suggestions. I also never realized that I should be more specific when editing. Many times when I peer edit, I only sat things like, "you had a few spelling errors". Now I know I should point out exactly what was incorrect. The slideshow helped me think of ways to positively suggest changes. Instead of saying "Your post did not make sense", it would be more beneficial to say something like "I was a little confused about (insert part). Maybe you could add a few more details". These techniques will not only help me, but it will also help my peers.
peer editing

1 comment:

  1. Meagan, you should go back and briefly summarize each of the sources you read/watched so the reader has a better understanding of them. You should also go back and provide links to those sources, as well as alt/title modifiers for your picture!

    ReplyDelete